Description relevant to 07.01.2017
- Latin name: Tinctura Leonuri
- Active substance: Motherwort grass
- Manufacturer: CJSC "Yaroslavl Pharmaceutical Factory", CJSC "EKOlab", LLC "Camelia NPP", JSC "Tver Pharmaceutical Factory", JSC "Altaivitaminy", LLC "Hippocrates", JSC "Tatkhimpharmpreparaty", JSC "Flora of the Caucasus, LLC" Pharmikon ", JSC "Synthesis" (Russia), etc.
The composition of 1 liter of tincture includes 200 grams motherwort herbs (in Latin - Herba Leonuri) and 70% ethanol.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
Motherwort is a herbaceous perennial plant, botanically assigned to the family Sponge or Clearwood. The generic scientific name of this plant, translated from Latin, sounds like "lion's tail", due to the remote similarity of the apical leaves to the tassel of the lion's tail. Other common names are - dog nettle (grass), core, deaf nettle, heart grass. From the very names it becomes clear from what motherwort helps and under what diseases its healing properties will be useful.
Motherwort Herb, medicinal properties and contraindications
According to Wikipedia, in medical practice and folk recipes for making motherwort tincture, the benefits and harms of which will be discussed below, use two types of this medicinal herb, namely: Motherwort pyatilopastny (shaggy) and Motherwort Heart (ordinary), since the effects of other plant species are not well understood. The infusion is prepared from the dried upper parts of the plant, including flowers and leaves, for which the extractant can serve ethanol (ethanol), more suitable for adult patients, or water (boiling water), which is the preferred base solution for children.
Healing properties and contraindications to motherwort tincture are dictated by the properties of the herbal ingredients included in the harvested raw materials. Motherwort dry grass includes alkaloids (stahidrin, leonuridin, choline, leonurin), beta carotene, flavonoids (quercetin, rutin, quinqulososide, cosmosiin, quercimeritrin, hyperoside, etc.), leonurid, saponins, mineral salts (sulfur, potassium, sodium, calcium), about 5% tannins, vitamins (A, C, E), up to 0.05% essential oil, sugary and bitter ingredients, organic acids (lemon, vanillin, apple, ursolic, tartar), due to which effects similar to the nature of sedatives are manifested valerian.
For motherwort characterized by its positive impact on the functionality of the central nervous system, soothing effects, sleep potentiation (no hypnotic effect), reducing high nervous excitabilityantagonism against analeptics and their convulsive action. The effectiveness of this therapeutic agent is observed with neurasthenia, psychoasthenia and neurosisflowing in the background insomniasensation of overvoltage and increased reactivity. The drug is able to correct functional disorders of the nervous system occurring during preclimax and menopause.
Motherwort is also an effective means of pressure (lowers pressure or increases blood circulation, heart rate and slows heart rate), is used for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular pathologies (angina pectorismyocarditis cardiosclerosis, heartbeat, etc.), used in the IRR (vegetative dystonia) to regulate heart rate.
The use of motherwort herb is helpful in treating ulcerative diseases of the digestive tract, painful menstruation, epilepsydyspeptic phenomena thrombosis, bronchial asthma, grave disease, shortness of breathuterine bleeding paralysis, neuralgia, cough and other painful conditions in which its positive healing properties are manifested. The drug has a tonic, diuretic, antispastic and anti-inflammatory action. AT homeopathy used in case of patient complaints flatulence, disorders of cardiac function and hyperthyroidism.
However, when using this herbal preparation, it is necessary to take into account not only the beneficial properties, but also the contraindications of motherwort, because often the benefits and harms of motherwort grass depend on the dosage of the remedy, the appropriateness of its use and the correctness of use. For example, motherwort in any form is contraindicated pregnant women due to increased threat miscarriageprovoked by stimulation of the uterine contractile function, hypotensive because of lowering blood pressure, women with profuse, long periodsdue to the possibility of their gain. Alcohol tincture should not be taken by people suffering alcoholism, and water solution and other preparations of motherwort - allergy sufferers.
When used in parallel, pharmacological efficacy may be enhanced. antihypertensivesother sedatives, analgesic (painkillers), sleeping pills remedies and cardiac glycosides.
Before use, tincture it must be shaken.
Take into account the slow developmentsedation, which is most often manifested by the end of the 3rd week of treatment.
The analogues of Motherwort tincture can be attributed to medicinal drugs similar to it by its sedative and cardiotonic action:
Which is better - motherwort or valerian?
The unequivocal answer to the question, which is better - motherwort or valerian, does not exist in principle. These medicinal plants are very similar in their main action and by and large differ only in some contraindications and the degree of their effectiveness. When choosing one of these therapeutic agents, the doctor, first of all, should be guided by the features of the patient’s diagnosed disease and his individual response to the treatment being carried out, in accordance with which the personal therapeutic regimen is chosen.
In turn, both of these drugs are often mixed and recommended to be used together in different combinations of sedative therapeutic agents, both factory and homemade. The most common and popular reviews of popular recipes is a mixture VKPBPincluding five tinctures:pion, valerian, motherwort, Corvalol, hawthorn.
Tincture of peony, hawthorn, motherwort, valerian, Corvalol
Before you take motherwort, valerian, hawthorn, pion, Corvalol, you need to purchase these tinctures in a pharmacy and mix them in a dark glass vessel in equal proportions, for example, 25 ml (in this case, you can limit yourself to 15 ml Corvalol), after which it is taken orally every day for 10-15 drops (allowed together with cup of water). In case of insufficient positive action and in the absence of allergic manifestations You can increase the daily dosage to 25 drops.
Reviews of a mixture of tinctures valerian, motherwort, hawthorn, peony, Corvalol they speak of a significantly greater sedative and cardiotonic efficacy of this mixture, but also warn patients against its uncontrolled and excessive use, since such soothing drops not only increase the positive properties of plants, but also potentiate their side effects.
Motherwort tincture is contraindicated for children under the age of 12 years (due to the presence of ethanol).
The Internet often discusses various sedative herbal preparationswhich naturally includes motherwort tincture, the reviews of which in the prevailing majority of cases are completely positive. People using this tincture, or mixtures into which it is included, to maintain their nervous system in adequate condition, as well as to treat various cardiac disorders, note the high effectiveness of this remedy and the almost complete absence of negative side effects. Among the negative qualities most often mentioned bitter taste and content ethanol.
It is precisely because of the alcohol base of motherwort tincture that most women fear its use when of pregnancy and breastfeedingHowever, there are those who practice taking small doses of this drug and do not see this as a significant problem.
Motherwort tincture price, where to buy
The price of the motherwort tincture depends on the volume of the bottle, as well as on the pricing policy of the manufacturing plant and, therefore, how much the drug of a certain manufacturer costs, you should check with the pharmacist pharmacy. As a rule, the cost of this tincture is not very different from each other and is available to every customer.
The average price in a pharmacy varies around 30 rubles per 25 ml bottle.
Description, characteristics, photos of plants
This is a perennial herb with gray, flat stems with a reddish tint. He has palmate leaves, and flowers are collected in false whorls. Fruits resemble small tetrahedral nuts.
Another name for motherwort is dog nettle or heart grass. This is not accidental, since, in the first place, motherwort is used as a heart remedy. However, its scope is much wider.
The plant grows in Europe and Asia, in the Caucasus and in Western Siberia. Flowering begins in the second year of life in the first half of summer.
Collecting and storing dog nettle
In order for the plant to retain all its healing properties, it is necessary to follow some rules when collecting it:
- only the tops of the plant are used,
- the thickness of the stem should not exceed 5 mm,
- the length of the top is harvested about 40 cm.
For storage use the tops of the plant.
The tops are tied up in small bunches and dried in a well-ventilated area, avoiding direct sunlight. You can do this in a specialized dryer at a temperature of 50-60 degrees.
Dried grass is stored in canvas bags, also suitable cardboard boxes or thick paper bags. It is important not to allow direct sunlight and excessive moisture. In such conditions, the shelf life is about three and a half years. Further storage is considered impractical because the motherwort begins to lose its qualities.
Fresh juice of heart grass can be stored in the refrigerator for three days. Alcohol tincture is stored in a well-sealed vessel for about a year.
Properly cooked motherwort has a bitter taste and a slight peculiar smell.
Many reviews have come down to us about the use of heart grass in the Middle Ages. However, subsequently, the plant was undeservedly forgotten. New life to motherwort was given by Professor Nikolai Vasilyevich Vershinin. During the First World War, he was looking for a means to control toxic gases and drew attention to the soothing and cleansing effect of motherwort. As the head of the department of pharmacology, Vershinin continued research and described all the properties of motherwort and other medicinal herbs.
Application and field of activity motherwort
The medicinal effect of canine nettle is similar to the action of lily of the valley and valerian, but the result is three times higher than the effect that results from their effect. The main emphasis of the application of the plant is on the use of its sedative properties. However, motherwort can help in many situations:
Motherwort treats heart disease
- Heart grass stabilizes the heart rhythm, has anticonvulsant and anti-inflammatory effects, controls pressure readings and cholesterol levels in the body. Supports the content of glucose and beneficial acids, breaks down and removes fats.
- Motherwort is very useful in diseases of the digestive system, normalizes the process of digestion, relieves spasms. It has diuretic properties.
- The plant has anti-inflammatory and expectorant action.
- It is very successfully used for tachycardia, enhancing myocardial contractions. It helps in the treatment of coronary heart disease and heart failure, and at any stage of the disease.
- It acts as a blood pressure stabilizer, successfully lowers it in hypertension.
- Used in gynecology during menopause and with painful manifestations of monthly discharge. Helps in stopping uterine bleeding.
- It cures colds, old cough.
- It is used in cases of Grave Cause and Epilepsy.
- Motherwort seeds are used in the treatment of glaucoma.
- Actively used in cosmetology.
Motherwort broth for insomnia
Canine nettle is used for various disorders of the nervous system:
- vascular dystonia,
Side effects and contraindications
Officially, there are no contraindications in the use of motherwort, but herbalists recommend caution in treating this herb, and in some cases, it is advised not to use it:
- You should not get involved in the use of heart grass, if you have consistently low blood pressure,
- while driving a vehicle, as well as in other cases requiring increased attention, it is necessary to abandon preparations containing canine nettle, since drowsiness may occur,
- categorically do not advise to use motherwort during pregnancy and lactation,
- cardiac grass should be avoided for women who have recently had a miscarriage or have had an abortion.
Overdose of motherwort in any form, causes nausea, dizziness, diarrhea. Therefore, do not start taking weed alone, consult with a competent therapist.
A unique recipe tincture
Unfortunately, our body is not able to cure all diseases at once with the help of a single drug. However, our ancestors invented a wonderful tincture of hawthorn, valerian, motherwort and peony. It allows you to solve several problems at once:
- Hawthorn supports the heart muscle and stimulates the blood circulation process. At the same time, it enhances immunity and raises the overall tone of the body.
- Valerian along with motherwort has a calming effect, but in this tincture it is used as an antispasmodic. It should be remembered that the effect of valerian is not limited to one time, the effect begins to be felt after about a week, but the duration of its action stretches for several months.
- Heart herb is the main component of this tincture. It has a beneficial effect on the state of blood vessels, relieves spasms. Unlike valerian, the soothing effect of motherwort can be felt for half an hour.
- Peony stimulates brain activity, increases efficiency and improves health. A pleasant "side effect" is the production of endorphins, the so-called happiness hormones.
Motherwort tincture during pregnancy
Treatment of a hangover with motherwort
The composition of the dog nettle includes magnesium and vitamin B6. It is these ingredients that have excellent restorative action after the abuse of alcoholic beverages.
It is recommended to dissolve 30 drops of tincture in 100 grams of warm water. It is necessary to maintain the water-salt balance of the body with mineral water.
Motherwort tincture is made from natural ingredients, so herbalists are advised to replace the anesthetic tablet with a tea spoon of motherwort. In addition to the disappearance of pain, the heart rate normalizes and blood pressure stabilizes.
If the headaches are chronic, it is recommended to undergo a ten-day course of treatment, taking motherwort tincture three times a day, one teaspoonful. It is recommended to drink herbal infusion with water or warm milk.
Motherwort relieves headaches
The use of motherwort during menopause
Age changes do not spare anyone. Unfortunately, the onset of menopause, accompanied by quite unpleasant symptoms:
- sudden rise in temperature
- increased heart rate
- vaginal dryness
- frequent urination,
- mood swings
- increased fatigue
- decrease in sexual energy
- accelerated appearance of wrinkles.
To alleviate the unpleasant symptoms of menopause, your gynecologist may recommend taking motherwort. A very good helper in this case will be herbal tea based on the collection of motherwort. It is prepared quite simply:
- dog nettle,
- common nettle,
- shepherd's bag.
Herbs are taken in equal parts, poured 200 grams of boiling water and languish for 15 minutes in a water bath. This tea will not only improve health, but also stop possible uterine bleeding.
Motherwort for depression and panic attacks
Depression, called depression, is a very dangerous stage in the functioning of the body. Experts believe that the effects of depression can be unpredictable for the body. And the result can be both explicit and hidden.
Our ancestors did not know this fashionable word now, but they understood the perniciousness of such a process. For a long time, to get rid of this ailment, heart grass was used. Evidence of this can be found in the classical literature.
The use of motherwort for depression
Researchers have shown that motherwort contains a large number of nutrients that simultaneously have a calming effect and do not inhibit the nervous system of the body.
During a depressive state, panic attacks are often manifested. Note that during a rush of fear, no medicine will be able to help. But this does not mean that this problem cannot be solved with the help of motherwort. Experts recommend taking broth or tincture of motherwort daily for a month, three times a day. The dose of the drug must be calculated on the basis of their age. However, do not take more than 40 drops at a time.
Finally, I want to wish you health. Be healthy and beautiful. Use the generous gifts of nature. I hope the information in the article was useful to you. Subscribe to our updates. All the best.
What is motherwort?
This is a perennial plant of the family Cluster, with a tetrahedral branched stem and petiole. In height can grow up to 100 cm. The Latin name of the grass Leonurus quinquelobatus translates as Motherwort five-lobed. This indicates the characteristic structure of the leaves of the plant, which are dissected into 5 blades. Its flowering is not too thick, it falls on the period from June to October.
This plant has several other names, such as deaf, wild or canine nettle, heart grass and core. In medicine, it is valued for a small list of individual contraindications and its healing properties, due to the large number of useful substances. The composition of the plant includes:
- essential oils,
- vitamins A and C,
- organic acids
The healing properties of heart herbs are diverse, so it is used in different areas of medicine, but provided there are no contraindications. The most significant actions are:
- hypotensive effect - normalizing blood pressure,
- cardiotonic action - restores the heartbeat in heart diseases, stimulates contractions of the heart,
- vasodilator and spasmolytic - relieving spasms of cerebral vessels,
- sedative - eliminating the nervous breakdown, improving overall health and sleep,
- anticonvulsant - eliminating uncontrolled paroxysmal contractions of muscles,
- hemostatic effect
- diuretic effect.
The benefits of motherwort for the body
The healing properties of the core also include the improvement of metabolism: carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism. In addition, it has fewer contraindications and side effects compared with valerian. When applied topically, it is used to treat wounds and burns. The core is beneficial for almost every system of the body:
- Central nervous system. Heart herb is part of sedative medications. It is used in the treatment of neurosis, insomnia, hysteria. It is effective in case of bouts of fear and panic. Often used grass in the treatment of seizures, epilepsy and paralysis.
- Urinary system. The core helps with edema due to renal or heart failure and cystitis.
- The cardiovascular system. The plant is useful at elevated pressure. In addition, it normalizes heart rate.
- Digestive. The core contains alkaloids that help with gastrointestinal disorders, cramps, pain and bloating.
- Respiratory. The herb has anti-inflammatory effect, promotes expectoration, which helps with acute respiratory viral infections, influenza, pneumonia.
Heart grass helps men in the prevention of cardiosclerosis, high blood pressure and myocarditis. It has a positive effect in case of impairment of potency, which resulted from psycho-emotional overstrain. The plant also has a positive effect in the following diseases:
- stagnation in the pelvis,
- nervous system disorders, increased excitability.
What a motherwort looks like
Motherwort is a perennial erect plant from the same family as mint (Lunar), although neither taste nor smell, does not resemble an aromatic relative. He, on the contrary, is very bitter, and his smell is not the most pleasant. An adult plant in favorable conditions can form a tall (almost 2 meters), branched grass bush with hollow stems. In some people, contact with the dark green "shaggy" leaves of motherwort ends with itching and allergies.
At the end of June small flowers of pink, purple or white appear on the bushes. The flowering period of motherwort continues throughout the summer. As a rule, thickets of this grass are found on wet places, not far from landfills, on gravelly and limestone soil. This picky plant can appear in both sunny and darkened areas of wastelands - hence its name. But the Latin name of this plant is translated "lion's tail", because during the flowering period it resembles a lion's tail brush.
What is useful for a person?
Chemistically, motherwort is a combination of essential oils, alkaloids, glycosides, iridoids, flavonoids, terpenoids, coffee, citric and malic acids, tannins, choline and vitamin A.
Studies conducted by the Chinese, have indicated that useful chemicals, usually found in motherwort, reach their maximum concentration during the flowering period of the grass. By the way, in ancient China, she enjoyed the glory of plants of long-livers. In Greece, motherwort infusions gave pregnant women to facilitate the process of childbirth and calm the nerves after the birth of the baby. By the way, the Greeks called this plant "grass of the mother." In addition, the ancient Greeks used motherwort and to strengthen the heart. And in medieval Europe, this herb was known as a medicine for cattle.
Today, this medicinal herb is known as:
- remedy, tonic heart work,
- stimulating menstruation,
Motherwort is considered useful for the treatment of milder forms of goiter's disease. It has antioxidant and immunostimulating properties, it has a positive effect on the central nervous system. It is known that the juice of this herb accelerates the removal of toxins from the body, and also improves the functioning of the kidneys, liver, gall and bladder.
But the best motherwort is known as grass for the heart (the name of one of the varieties of this plant is Heartwort). Its extract is useful in the treatment of chronic cardiovascular diseases in the elderly. Some varieties of canine nettle have a sedative effect, reduce muscle spasms and lower blood pressure. Studies have shown that herb extract slows down blood clotting, prevents thrombosis, reduces the amount of fat in the blood, and also soothes a heartbeat that is too fast.
Herbalists use this plant to treat rheumatism, bronchitis and asthma.
Herb extract helps with thyroid hyperactivity, but at the same time is completely safe for healthy people, since it does not affect the healthy secretion of thyroid hormones. In traditional Chinese medicine, motherwort seeds are known as an effective diuretic. Among other beneficial properties is the ability to speed up metabolism, improve digestion, relieve intestinal cramps and reduce swelling. This plant will protect men from prostate adenoma and potency problems.
Benefits for the cardiovascular and nervous system
Many herbalists believe that in nature there is no other plant, more useful for the heart and nervous system. Alkaloids contained in motherwort have a mild vasodilator effect, and also have a relaxing effect on smooth muscles, including the heart. It has been scientifically confirmed that canine nettle extract reduces cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, which is also important for the healthy functioning of the cardiovascular system. With a mild diuretic effect, motherwort regulates blood pressure. In addition, inhibits calcification of the arteries.
This herb has sedative properties, improves sleep, relieves anxiety, regulates heartbeat. Tea made from it is useful for neuralgia and chronic fatigue. By the way, motherwort has more powerful sedative properties than valerian or lily of the valley. The digestive system will also benefit from this tea. In particular, herbal medicine from canine nettle improves the health of indigestion and intestinal inflammation.
Women's Health Benefits
For the treatment of female diseases herbalists use flowering tops, leaves and plant stems. Decoctions and infusions of them are useful for the treatment of:
- uterine fibroids,
- ovarian cysts,
- postpartum depression
It was found that special chemicals contained in motherwort, gently affect the uterus in violation of the cycle. The same herb, according to herbalists, is useful for women with painful menstruation. Infusions and decoctions of motherwort help to deal with anxiety, tachycardia, hot flashes, headaches and dizziness, sleep disorders caused by PMS or menopause. In addition, researchers suggest that motherwort reduces the risk of uterine cancer, prevents infertility, improves the fertility of the female body, and also facilitates contractions. After childbirth, the plant extract is useful for calming the nerves, preventing postpartum depression (but during this period, the herb can be taken only with the permission of the doctor, so as not to cause bleeding).
During pregnancy, dog nettle is strictly prohibited, as it can cause miscarriage. Motherwort should be abandoned and women with heavy menstruation (because it can further increase bleeding).
Daily intake and dosage
As a sedative or diuretic, motherwort is used in a ratio of 1-2 teaspoons of dried herbs per cup of boiling water. The drug is considered ready after 10 minutes of infusion. Herbalists do not advise to use more than 2 glasses of such tea per day. Single dosage - 1 tablespoon of infusion. Children under 2 years of medication from canine nettle are prohibited. Considering that motherwort is a very bitter herb, the unpleasant taste of the infusion can be improved with honey (sugar) and lemon. As for alcoholic tinctures, in this form motherwort can be taken no more than 3 times a day for 2-6 ml.
As already mentioned, herbal extract is prohibited during pregnancy, immediately after surgery, as well as for people with bleeding disorders. Persons taking synthetic drugs for heart treatment, before drinking the phyto-medicine, also need to consult a doctor, as in some cases incompatibility of substances is possible.
People with diseases of the digestive system amid motherwort can have stomach irritation, cramps or diarrhea.
In some cases, contact with fresh leaves of motherwort can cause an allergic reaction, and sometimes severe dermatitis. The juice of the plant, applied to the skin, increases the sensitivity to UV radiation, which is fraught with the occurrence of sunburn.
How to harvest
This medicinal plant is best harvested during the flowering period, when its juice contains the most beneficial substances. It is advisable to take tall plants (reaching half a meter in height) and with a stem thickness of half a centimeter. As a healing potion, only the top of a dog nettle is suitable. After collecting them spread out evenly on paper in a warm, but ventilated place and from time to time turn over. To keep a maximum of medicinal ingredients in the grass, it is important to avoid direct sunlight during the drying period. Properly dried grass can be stored for 3 years.
Motherwort medicine at home
From motherwort you can prepare different dosage forms:
Water infusions and syrups from the land part of the plant are useful as a tonic for the heart and female reproductive system. Alcohol tincture of leaves and flowers is useful for eliminating various infectious diseases, and it is useful to wash the broth from motherwort seeds with conjunctivitis, inflammations or banal eye fatigue.
On 30 g of fresh leaves of motherwort take 250 ml of alcohol (or vodka, brandy, gin). The leaves are crushed and poured with alcohol. Insist in a glass container in a dark place for a month. The finished medicine is taken 10 drops per day.
In severe cases, you can drink 10 drops three times a day. Useful for tachycardia, hysteria, panic attacks, gastritis.
Medicine for PMS
Reducing irritability during PMS, pain in the chest and adjust the cycle in women will help a decoction of 3 parts of Vitex sacred, 2 parts of viburnum, motherwort and smilax root, as well as 1 part of dried oats stalks. For infusion you will need 2-3 teaspoons of a mixture of medicinal herbs and a glass of boiling water. During the day you can drink 2-4 cups of such a drink. As a medicine, they start drinking tea on the day of ovulation and continue to take it until the first day of the next cycle.
Collection for the thyroid gland
To prepare this medicine, motherwort, mint, green walnut skins, valerian root (all in 1 part) and hawthorn berries (2 parts) will be needed. A tablespoon of such a fitosy mixture pour a glass of boiling water. After half an hour, strain.Finished medicine to use 100 ml twice a day before meals. The duration of the treatment course is a month. After a 10-day rest, repeat.
Use in the food industry
Fresh or dried motherwort flowers are sometimes used as a spice for soups. Especially well with peas and lentils. At one time, brewers added motherwort flowers to beer as an aromatic component. And for herbal tea it is equally useful to use the flowers and leaves of the plant - both fresh and dried.
Use in cosmetology
Due to the unique chemical composition, motherwort is a good raw material for cosmetics.
Broth dog nettle is particularly useful for oily hair. For rinsing curls suitable decoction, prepared from a tablespoon of herbs and a liter of water (cook for 5 minutes, then insist 3 hours). Ready infusion dilute 3 liters of clean water. Rinse clean hair with the resulting liquid.
Motherwort, nettle and oak (in a ratio of 1: 2: 2) are also a good tool for hair, in particular a decoction of these plants with regular rinsing makes the hair shiny and prevents hair loss. Instead of nettle, you can also take burdock root.
To restore shine and healthy appearance to dry hair, you can use a vegetable mask. In equal portions, mix castor oil, tincture of calendula and motherwort, add a little water. This tool must be applied to the hair and hold for about an hour.
Strengthen weakened hair is also possible with the help of plants. To do this, take equal amounts of motherwort, oak bark and bulbous husks. At 5 tablespoons of the mixture will need 1 liter of water. Steam for about an hour. Cool the broth and strain it. Rub into scalp before washing.
Motherwort is useful for combating juvenile acne. The juice of this plant has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, prevents excessive secretion of sebum, tightens pores. For the treatment of rash in the bath is useful to add boiled in 2 liters of water motherwort, chamomile, sage and oak bark. It is enough to take vegetable ingredients for 50 g each. It is useful to wipe the face with sage, lime flowers and dog nettle, and the herbal thick can be used as a mask for problem skin. To improve the skin color you can make a mask of yeast, cream, honey and a few drops of spirit motherwort tincture. Boil the slurry slightly and apply for 20 minutes on the skin. Remove the mask remains with a cotton swab dipped in milk or warm water.
As you can see, there are many ways to use motherwort in home cosmetics. Mixing herbal extract with different ingredients, you can prepare useful products for skin and hair.
Herbal medicine in our lives is not the last place. Many, wanting to protect themselves from unnecessary "chemistry", seek to cure a variety of diseases with the help of medicinal herbs. And motherwort confidently found its niche in herbal medicine. Also for a long time.
Characteristics of motherwort
Where is growing and what does motherwort look like? What are the medicinal properties of motherwort herb and contraindications? How to harvest this medicinal plant? What side effects can it give?
What does the motherwort plant look like? There are about 25 species of this perennial herbaceous plant. Of these, only three species are used for medicinal purposes. The morphological structure and useful properties of these species are similar to each other.
- Motherwort five-lobed (shaggy). Plant height can be from 50 to 150 cm. In this species, an erect stem with a small number of branches, pubescent with hairs. The characteristic feature of the leaves is toothed along the edge, 3-5 lobed (hence the name), dark green above, gray below, with glandular hairs on both sides of the leaf. The flowers are collected in whorls, small, double-lipped, pink. Previously in the botanical classification refers to the subspecies heartwort.
Motherwort hearty. Botanical illustration of Jacob Sturm from the book “Deutschlands Flora in Abbildungen”, 1796.
Motherwort heart (ordinary). Its main difference is the bare stem, slightly hairy on the ribs. He also has little glandular hairs on the leaves, flowers are smaller, with a bare cup.
Most often in pharmacology use motherwort five-lobed and hearty, and gray is more known in traditional medicine. Both the five-lobed and hearty motherwort bloom all summer, and the gray one only in June-July.
All three species are ruderal (weedy) plants. Capable of quickly capturing free resource areas, forming thickets. They love to grow around roads and homes, in gardens, weedy places, rare forests, on waste grounds, in ravines, ravines, on cliffs and slopes, abandoned quarries and railway embankments, pastures and pastures, less often can be found along river banks. Grass loves sandy, clayey soils enriched with nitrogen. It is widespread in Central and Eastern Europe, Belarus, Ukraine, Central Asia, Western and Eastern Siberia, China, Mongolia, and the Caucasus. As an invasive plant well caught on in North America. The area of gray motherwort is somewhat limited, more often it can be seen in the European part of Russia, in the southern regions.
Collecting and harvesting
It is recommended to harvest the entire top part of the grass along with flowers. Also beneficial substances found in the leaves.
- Time and method of collection. It is better to collect the grass in the period of full bloom, when the flower petals are fully revealed. Most often this occurs in July. Side shoots are cut with knives or scissors along with a stem up to 40 cm in length. Recommend collection only in dry, clear weather.
- Drying The grass is laid out in a thin layer, often teddled. Dried under natural conditions, with access to fresh air, but without direct sunlight. On the readiness of raw materials says its fragility and fragility.
- Storage The grass is packaged in linen bags, wooden boxes, protect from moisture. Store no more than 3 years.
What is the pharmacological effect of motherwort?
- Wound healing.
Motherwort five-bladed has additional healing properties:
- regulating the menstrual cycle.
What is the chemical composition of motherwort?
- Alkaloids (the main ones are stachidrin, leonurin, leonurinin).
- Essential oil.
- Vitamins C, A.
Indications for use
What does motherwort treat? Under what diseases and symptoms is it most effective?
- Central nervous system . The herb helps with insomnia, neurosis, hysteria, increased anxiety, bouts of fear and panic, relieves headaches and neuralgic pains. On the effects on the central nervous system is not inferior even valerian. Also, the herb can be prescribed in the complex treatment of epilepsy, seizures, paralysis.
- The cardiovascular system . It is useful to drink at elevated pressure, to normalize heart rate. This cardiotonic medicine known in scientific medicine. It is prescribed for angina, myocarditis, cardiac neurosis, heart failure, shortness of breath, vegetative dystonia, sclerosis of cerebral vessels, atherosclerosis. The herb not only stimulates blood circulation, but also improves the composition of the blood, so it is prescribed for anemia.
- Urinary system . Accepted in the treatment of cystitis, edema associated with renal and heart failure.
- Digestive system . Benefits the herb with functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, eliminates bloating, well removes cramps, pain, helps with stomach cramps and intestines.
- Endocrinology. The grass normalizes metabolism, cleanses the blood, affects the hormonal system, it is prescribed for thyroid disease (with hyperfunction).
- Respiratory system . The herb has anti-inflammatory and expectorant action. Her decoctions help with coughing (bronchitis, bronchial asthma, pneumonia, ARVI, flu). They also drink it as a diaphoretic and febrifuge.
- External use in traditional medicine. Infusions, spirit tinctures and fresh plant juice are popularly used in the treatment of burns, ulcers, non-healing wounds.
Drug Interactions and Side Effects
It is important to consider not only the beneficial properties of motherwort and contraindications, but also its interaction with other drugs, the risk of side effects.
- Side effects of motherwort. With moderate doses, side effects are rare. But with a dose increase and prolonged use, the following symptoms are possible: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, body aches, bloody diarrhea, severe thirst. In this situation, you should immediately consult a doctor.
- Drug interaction. Can be combined with other heart and sedative drugs, but under the supervision of a physician, to prevent overdose. It is proved that the herb enhances the effect of painkillers and hypnotics. According to its medicinal properties, this plant is closest to the action of valerian. In some herbalists indicated that motherwort is 3 times stronger than valerian for sedative properties.
- Pills . May be in different packages: 10, 30, 40, 50, 100 each. They belong to the pharmacological group of drugs of sedative, cardiotonic, anticonvulsant action. Also used as a diuretic. Tablets are contraindicated in gastric ulcer, acute erosive gastritis. You can take 1 tablet an hour before meals no more than 4 times a day. The shelf life of the drug - 2 years. Motherwort is also produced in the form of capsules, with the addition of magnesium and B vitamins. Read more about motherwort in tablets in our other article.
- Tincture. The main active ingredient is herbal extracts of five-lobed and heartwort. The grass is infused with 70% alcohol. The main pharmacological action is sedative, hypotensive, sedative. Applied with functional disorders of the central nervous system, with neurosis, depression, sleep disorders, heart disease, hypertension. In addition, the tincture has a beneficial effect on digestion, relieves inflammation in the respiratory organs. Read more about the use of motherwort tincture in our other article.
How to brew motherwort? Grass is not recommended to boil, but only pour boiling water. Therefore, from motherwort do not prepare decoctions, but only teas and infusions. There is no fundamental difference between tea and infusion. The same recipe in different herbalists may be called differently. However, infusions usually insist longer, and tea only 10-15 minutes.
- Take 1 tbsp. l raw materials.
- Pour a glass of boiling water.
- Insist 1 hour.
Accepted depending on the severity of symptoms - по or ½ cup 3 times daily before meals. Well helps not only with nervous excitability, but also in diseases of the stomach and intestines associated with the "nerves".
- Take 2 tsp. grass
- Pour a glass of boiling water.
- Insist 10 minutes.
During the day, you can drink 1 cup of this tea, dividing it into 3 doses. The course of treatment can last from 2 to 4 weeks.
Preparation of sedative collection
- Prepare a mixture of 20 g of motherwort, 15 g of Hypericum, 10 g of lemon balm and hawthorn, 5 g of valerian.
- Take 2 tsp. mixes.
- Pour a glass of boiling water.
- Insist 10 minutes.
According to reviews, such a collection helps a lot with vegetative dystonia, removes bouts of fear and anxiety. It is also useful to drink it for the normalization of cardiac activity, the prevention of atherosclerosis.
Features of use in men, women, children
What benefits does grass bring to men and women? Is it possible to give grass to children? And at what age?
- For men . Motherwort is indicated for men with all the above mentioned diseases. It is also useful to take water and alcohol infusions for diseases of the genitourinary sphere (in particular, for inflammation of the prostate gland). A contraindication may be an activity requiring high concentration of attention and quickness of psychomotor reactions. Do not recommend to take drivers, machinists, pilots, machine operators.
- For women . Motherwort has hemostatic properties, it is prescribed for uterine bleeding. They also drink grass to normalize the menstrual cycle, to ease PMS. It is an effective drug in the premenopausal period, it has a beneficial effect on the emotional state of a woman, relieves headaches, irritability, anxiety, and normalizes sleep. Read more about motherwort during pregnancy in our other article.
- Motherwort children. The herb is widely used in pediatrics (both in infants and adolescents). Although often in the official instructions specified age limit: can be applied from 12 years. Grass can be given to a child of any age only by prescription, with an exact age dosage. Most often motherwort prescribed for such symptoms in children: hyperactivity, anxiety, poor sleep, dystonia, cardiac arrhythmias, neurotic states, bouts of fear and panic attacks, functional disorders of the digestive system. It is useful to add motherwort to therapeutic baths.
In some herbalists indicated that lactating women with increased nervous excitability can drink water infusion of motherwort. Also when breastfeeding grass has a beneficial effect on the baby. But the question of admission must be addressed individually with your doctor.
What is the main use of motherwort grass? This is an effective tool for functional disorders of the nervous system, insomnia, cardiac abnormalities. Also, grass is useful to take with gastric and intestinal cramps, flatulence. It is often prescribed to women in the premenopausal period, children and adolescents with signs of vegetative dystonia, hyperactivity.